What's For Dinner?

21 minutes ago, mansonlamps said:

Always go with the broccoli over the rice!  I'm my humble opinion of course.

I'm the same way.  I love broccoli, and rice does nothing for me (I only make it [and only brown rice, because at least there's some flavor that way] with curry or something else really saucy that needs to be soaked up, although I may switch to cauliflower "rice" since I like cauliflower much more than rice), so that would be an easy call for me.

I have some chicken breast (seasoned with just a little garlic and parsley, so it can go with many different things) left from what I cooked up for some chicken romano I made for my parents last week, so I think I'm going to go incredibly simple tonight and just chop that up, spread it over a big mixed greens salad, add some avocado, and pour some ranch dressing over the whole thing.

Share Post

Last night's dinner was a big plate of nothing.

I was processing voters all day long. Our voter surge comes after 5PM.

Share Post

We ate at a little café around the corner from our hotel. After being hot since we arrived in Hamburg (and Munich, Vienna, and now Salzburg), we had thunderstorms this afternoon that really did cool things off. Only second meal we've eaten inside, it was so warm and cozy. I had turkey wiener schnitzel that came with parsley potatoes and cranberry compote, and (gasp!) a green salad. My husband had white asparagus with hollandaise, ham, and parsley potatoes. It was all good.

Share Post

On 6/5/2018 at 10:42 PM, biakbiak said:

A clean out the crisper  pasta salad with a garlic scape pesto.

I’m going to have lots of garlic scapes very soon, is this something you make or something you purchase?

Share Post

33 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

I’m going to have lots of garlic scapes very soon, is this something you make or something you purchase?

I make it. I use this as a base but use whatever nuts I have and typically throw in a handful of basil/parsley/spinach depending on how strong the garlic scapes are and make it like any pesto.

1/4 cup pine nuts

3/4 cup coarsely chopped garlic scapes

Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon

1/2 teaspoon salt

A few generous grinds of black pepper

1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

Edited by biakbiak.

Share Post

We arrived in Bern, Switzerland today. We ended up eating at an Italian place across the street from our hotel. I had risotto with prawns that was served with shaved parmesan and arugula. It was okay. My husband had a pepperoni pizza that was also okay.

OT: We were basically on the train all day. We changed trains in Zurich. The train from Salzburg to Zurich had some breathtaking scenery.

Share Post

We're about a month or so away from garlic scapes in this neck of the woods.  My absolute favorite kind of pesto.  I hide it in the bottom of the freezer so I can hoard it all for myself.  Not honorable, but then again I did make it.

This (scroll down below the pizza recipe) is the recipe I usually use, although most of the time I go with walnuts instead of pine nuts.

Share Post

50 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

We're about a month or so away from garlic scapes in this neck of the woods.  My absolute favorite kind of pesto.

I think it may be my favorite too.  I'm not sure I've ever met a pesto I didn't like, and I do hold particular fondness for the traditional recipe, but I think the garlic scape version edges it out.  Probably because I've got basil growing year-round, while garlic scapes are only seasonal.

Share Post

A kind of twist on tandoori chicken eaten as a roti wrap and a corn salad with avocado and peppers.

Share Post

Pulled pork, zucchini and carrots

Share Post

I think we are suffering from restaurant fatigue. Radar showed thunderstorms on the way, so we opted for takeaway at the nearby grocery store - turkey sandwich on a good seeded roll for me, spinach quiche and a mushroom focaccia for my husband. And the heavens opened 5 minutes after we got back to the hotel.

Share Post

Sweet corn and crab cakes. I am on my own this week, so I’m enjoying all the things Mr Gunderson doesn’t care for. Tomorrow, steak! With the bone in!

Share Post

Hanging with a picky 7 year old so a creamy Mac and cheese, roasted cauliflower, corn salad and brownie ice cream sandwiches if she eats the cauliflower and corn.

Edited by biakbiak.

Share Post

Pork loin chops in a thyme baby bello mushroom cream sauce, wild rice pilaf, fried Brussel sprouts with bacon, sliced tomatoes. Dessert is Eaton mess with raspberries.

Tomorrow we're going for ramen.

Share Post

Four pieces of California roll and re-heated chicken teriyaki bowl from the food vendors at the farmers market yesterday. Mr. Mbay made himself a stir fry out of the brown eggs and veggies also bought.

Share Post

We arrived in Interlaken yesterday. Found a place near our hotel that serves raclette, but a 2 person minimum and 44.50 Swiss Francs per person. I really wanted to try it but not at those prices, plus it was all you can eat. We opted for Rosti instead with a mushroom cream sauce.

Share Post

Oven-BBQd chicken (thighs and drumsticks) and some steak fries with ketchup as my side (I've been craving fries).  

Share Post

I made some pork, ginger, and lemongrass wontons and made a soup with them spinach, mushrooms and tofu. Plus, I made enough to freeze so can have a quick and tasty weeknight meal.

Share Post

Fried chicken and macaroni salad from Whole Foods. I am on a mission to de clutter and reorganize my house this week and 2 days in I’m already tired. I stocked up on ready made (or close to) food. 

Share Post

Spatchocked grilled chicken with roast potatoes, steamed asparagus, and salad. Homemade rhubarb pie to finish.

Share Post

Tonight will be grilled (homemade) polenta cakes with Italian sausages from the Italian deli that brings down their meats from NYC every week. (The Italian sausage in the south is just too sweet and doesn’t have enough of the spices that give it the good flavor...i.e. fennel seeds)  It will be covered in a homemade tomato marinara. Also a Hand melon that is perfectly ripened. 

Share Post

What? Is it so hot that everyone is out of their kitchens? Tonight is a charcuterie and split pea and ham soup. 

Share Post

I'm trying to think of what we can have that does not require me touching the stove.

It is even too hot to go outside and grill.

Share Post

17 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

What? Is it so hot that everyone is out of their kitchens? Tonight is a charcuterie and split pea and ham soup. 

I grilled some chicken yesterday with a nice spice rub. Today that gets turned into burritos for my son. I think I'll stop at the deli on the way home and pick up some coleslaw, since he seems to like it, and he'll get some watermelon. For the vegetarian, I'll reheat a slice of margarita pizza from Sunday on the grill and some fruit. 

For me, who the heck knows. Salad, and forage through the fridge. After dinner, I think the order of things is exercise bike, clean up and go to the craft brewery to try their new release and then grocery shopping. Because beer -> shopping is a good way for me to try new things. 

Share Post

We had an 8 1/2 hour flight home from Frankfurt yesterday - they fed us 2 meals plus an ice cream break in between. We got home about 8:30 ET, so basically fed the cat and fell into bed. I did some grocery shopping today to get staples back into the house, and picked up 2 strawberry poppy seed salads with chicken from Panera Bread for dinner. I'm not sure I'll make it to dinner. So good to be home.

Share Post

A spicy pork noodle stir fry with cabbage and peppers.

Share Post

I am still on an Asian noodle and kick so to night it was a twist on a Vietnamese noodle salad with beef and a super fish sauce heavy vinegarette.

Breas for muffuletta is currently proofing overnight in the fridge and a homemade giardiniera has been pickling for a few days so tomorrow will be different!

Share Post

BBQ pork chop and some roasted whole okra pods.

Share Post

Drove to SE PA for my 50th high school reunion. Hors d'oeuvres followed by a buffet of salad, roast beef, chicken piccata, vegetable lasagna, roasted veggies, and desserts. I haven't seen these folks in 35 years!

Share Post

A Salade Niçoise and a great sparkling rose. 

Share Post

We had Shrimp Curry and it was delicious!  Love that stuff and the house had such a wonderful "frangrance" (kept making me want to have more).  Mr. P914 has been doing the cooking all week as I had back surgery on June 6th.  Thank God he's always been a decent cook and a good caregiver.  It's funny though.   When he's been looking at the recipes in the kitchen bible I created (all our favorite recipes), he says, "What do you mean by a little Mural of Flavor, a bit of garlic powder, some fresh ginger sauted, etc?"  At first I'd have to do the sprinkles of stuff and fistfuls of herbs.  Now he's picked up on how it's done (how much chopped bell pepper?  start adding it into the skillet and when it looks like enough...stop).  A lot of my recipes I've copied from online or out of cookbooks and don't bother with measurements of the extras that I add.  I kinda like this: no cooking and no cleaning the kitchen either!

Share Post

Spinach and mushroom frittata with a tomato and green bean salad. 

Share Post

I don't know.  Saturday was my dad's birthday, for which he wanted steak, and for Father's Day he wanted crab cakes.  So Saturday he grilled ribeye steaks, my mom baked potatoes for the two of them, and I made sauteed spinach and mushrooms and a mixed greens salad with cucumber and avocado.  Sunday, my mom made crab cakes, and I made roasted asparagus and a dill slaw.  Tonight, I'm home and lazy, getting hungry, but not in the mood to make anything.  I don't want to order in since we also had cake and ice cream both those nights and I thus don't need the extra fat and salt in restaurant food tonight, but nothing is speaking to me. 

Share Post

Last night: we some frozen ravioli left over, so I cooked/heated that in beef broth with some vegetables.  Tonight?  My husband has a work thing, so I get to eat food *I* like.  It'll likely be a healthy meal of poached salmon and steamed asparagus. 

Share Post

Last night we had leftover carne asada, rice, beans, salsa, grilled corn and pineapple, corn tortillas, and flan. All homemade!

The kids came over Sunday and cooked and grilled father's day dinner after we all came home from successfully getting out of an escape room. Those things are fun! 

Edited by Giselle. Reason: clarity

Share Post

Yesterday I had a potluck lunch. I made a shrimp pasta salad with a lemon/oil based vinaigrette. A person next to me commented on how good it was, not knowing I made it. :-) We had it for dinner last night and my husband loved it. Guess I have a keeper. 

Share Post

2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Guess I have a keeper. 

The shrimp salad or your husband? Just kidding. Glad it came out well. 

Share Post

I've been eating a lot of salads, veggie burgers, made my own pizza on Sunday. Very low on meat of late.

So last night I picked up ground beef and the boy and I are having hamburgers tonight. I've got coleslaw, potato salad and watermelon in the fridge. Tomorrow is the first day of summer, tonight we eat like it started a day early.

Share Post

On 6/9/2018 at 5:08 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Sweet corn and crab cakes. I am on my own this week, so I’m enjoying all the things Mr Gunderson doesn’t care for. Tomorrow, steak! With the bone in!

I do that when Mr. G is away. God decided to have a laugh with me and made me fall in love with picky eater. He will at least try things and I have expanded his palate some what.

Also I am so limited when it comes to vegetables he will eat. I eat them all except wax beans and green lima beans. I have to make his n her veggies when I cook. 

Edited by Giselle. Reason: It's hump day?

Share Post

I still don't know what I'm gonna cook for supper. I've got an hour and half to figure it out and get it on the table.

Edited by Giselle. Reason: Can't tell time.

Share Post

Yesterday I finally re-seasoned my cast iron pan which I had been putting off for quite some time.  I only remember it needs to be done when I am about to cook something on it and that really is too late to get the whole process started.

So after baking my first loaf of bread ever (see the Baking Topic thread), I re-seasoned the cast iron in the already hot oven.  Last night's dinner was beef tenderloin (cooked in the cast iron), bread, mashed potatoes for me and leftover steamed rice for the kids and fruits & veggies.

Edited by DeLurker.

Share Post

17 hours ago, Giselle said:

I still don't know what I'm gonna cook for supper. I've got an hour and half to figure it out and get it on the table.

Instant Pot to the rescue!

Share Post

Red beans and rice, so spicy and comforting.

Share Post

Casual Friday night pizza dinner, plus leftover black forest cake my husband brought home from his office.

Share Post

Homemade eggrolls for dinner tonight.  The filling is just waiting to cool off so I can assemble things, but I'll probably wait a bit to cook them because it is still eleven billion degrees outside.

Share Post

Chicken Parmesan meatballs, garlic bread and green beans. Dessert is a blueberry tart with whipped cream.

Share Post

9748F9C3-86E3-4A70-B4C2-BB9ED38405D7.thumb.jpeg.7a1ea4aad81992c261a0830b317ad9b1.jpeg

I had trouble loading this picture. It had more red peppers and it’s such an easy dish. Just throw it all in the dish and bake for 45 minutes. Easy Peasy. 

Share Post