Batman in the media

Hey y'all - new Batman: The Animated Series soundtrack drops tomorrow from LaLaLand Records.  Anyone else into these?

Share Post

I'm putting this here in honor of the show's anniversary. The 24th, I think, and Paul Dini provided the original pilot and original score, which was lost, according to Bruce Timm in the first season DVD special features.  So they had the footage, but not the original score, so when they played it, it was with the score they ended up using for the series.  Below is the original pilot/score:

I really wish they'd used this for the show, but can understand why they "cleaned it up."

Share Post

From DCE: Top 10 Batman: The Animated Series Moments :

I agree with most of this list; but there are so many good moments it's hard to whittle down.

Share Post

Thinking about the episode "Beware the Grey Ghost" makes me cry.

"So it wasn't all for nothing?"

Edited by VCRTracking.

Share Post

9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Thinking about the episode "Beware the Grey Ghost" makes me cry.

"So it wasn't all for nothing?"

I watched it the day Adam West passed away. So sad. 

Share Post

Another day, another person who loves BTAS.

Of course BTAS is #1 Best on his list.

Although I also agree with several of his best (Spawn, Superman TAS, Justice League) and worse (Teen Titans Go, FF 78) choices

I do have a few disagreements (Super Hero Squad was silly, but it was fun, and it did attempt to recreate actual comic storylines (in a really silly way))

Finally, thank you for making this one webpage, instead of the usual multi-page slideshow click bait.

Oh, and, "Wild Thing" was not a Jimi Hendrix song (although he might have covered it at one point).

Share Post

1 minute ago, Twilight Man said:

Happy Silver Anniversary!!!!!

25 years and still nobody has done it better.

You know that's right. Bruce Timm/Eric Radomski's Batman: The Animated Series will now and forever be the GOLD STANDARD.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule.

Share Post

and now.............

Harley Quinn Day!!!!!

September 23, 2017 - (although "Joker's Favor", the first cartoon episode that featured our favorite psychopathic bubble-headed blonde, debuted on September 11th, but whatevs).

DC Comics are going to release several comics that week to celebrate the 25th birthday of their greatest break-out character since Batman himself.

But, it is not just comic book stores that will be celebrating Harley Quinn Day.

Several Barnes & Noble bookstores will feature special promotions and merchandise as well.

(Paul Dini himself will be signing autographs at Barnes & Noble in LA) but other B&N stores will have merchandise and banners.

Also Hot Topic will have special new merchandise and Six Flags theme parks will celebrate the special occasion as well.

and don't forget to ride Spin-sanity and the Crazy Train while you're there.

Edited by Twilight Man.

Share Post

Only ❤️💗❤️KevinFucking!Conroy, ❤️💗❤️❤️💗❤️MarkFucking! Hamill, ❤️💗❤️Loren Lester,

❤️❤️💗💗💓💓❤️❤️Sam Heughan❤️❤️💗💗💓💓❤️❤️

could make me cave, submit and create a Twitter account, something I've REFUSED to do for YEARS.😜😜

Ahem.

That said, how does one embed a tweet? Because Loren Lester also tweeted a great message about the Anniversary. Thanks in advance @VCRTracking!☺️

Edited by GHScorpiosRule. Reason: Because I can't insert emojis from my PC!!😒😒

Share Post

4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

That said, how does one embed a tweet? Because Loren Lester also tweeted a great message about the Anniversary. Thanks in advance @VCRTracking!☺️

Just post the link and the tweet shows up when it's published!

Share Post

CLEARLY, I need to figure out how to embed from my PHONE! 😒😒😒😒

Edited by GHScorpiosRule.

Share Post

Vulture.com offers up an Oral History of BTAS.

My favourite part:

[Kevin Conroy]: In animation, you can’t actually kill anybody. Standards and practices won’t allow that. So whenever Batman beats anyone up or throws them off a cliff and they hit the ground, there’s always what’s called the “stay-alive moan” after so you know the character’s not actually dead. I’d land and they’d go, “Okay: stay-alive moan!” And I’d go, Ahhhhh. It always sounded slightly sexualized. So during one episode, I was doing the stay-alive moan and I went [sexual tone] “Ahhhh … Andrea …” And the place erupted. It just sounded like the most postcoital moment between Batman and [voice director] Andrea Romano. She howled and she said, “Okay, I’m taking that one home with me tonight.” It got to be a tradition: Whenever I would get in a fight, it would be, “Andrea …” It got to be kind of notorious.

Share Post

21 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Vulture.com offers up an Oral History of BTAS.

My favourite part:

22 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

[Kevin Conroy]: In animation, you can’t actually kill anybody. Standards and practices won’t allow that. So whenever Batman beats anyone up or throws them off a cliff and they hit the ground, there’s always what’s called the “stay-alive moan” after so you know the character’s not actually dead. I’d land and they’d go, “Okay: stay-alive moan!” And I’d go, Ahhhhh. It always sounded slightly sexualized. So during one episode, I was doing the stay-alive moan and I went [sexual tone] “Ahhhh … Andrea …” And the place erupted. It just sounded like the most postcoital moment between Batman and [voice director] Andrea Romano. She howled and she said, “Okay, I’m taking that one home with me tonight.” It got to be a tradition: Whenever I would get in a fight, it would be, “Andrea …” It got to be kind of notorious.

Conroy, Romano, Timm, and Noveck all talk and joke about this in the extended interview special features of JL: Doom,  or it might be in Batman/Superman: Public Enemies I think. It's hilarous to hear Conroy moaning "Aaaaahndreaaaaaa." Noveck also talked about how at Comic Con panels the one question ALWAYS asked: "Is Kevin Conroy going to play Batman? Is Kevin Conroy going to play Wonder Woman?" It's a great great interview.

Share Post

On 10/6/2017 at 0:46 PM, Eyes High said:

So during one episode, I was doing the stay-alive moan and I went [sexual tone] “Ahhhh … Andrea …” And the place erupted. It just sounded like the most postcoital moment between Batman and [voice director] Andrea Romano. She howled and she said, “Okay, I’m taking that one home with me tonight.” 

Some people claim that Kevin started this "tradition" when they were working on the first animated movie "Mask of The Phantasm".  It makes the joke even funnier knowing that the lead female character in the movie was also named Andrea.  He (apparently) started this while doing the Stay-alive moan in a fight between Batman and The Phantasm 

Spoiler

who is actually Andrea herself (boy, do I really need to do this)

which makes the whole [sexual tone] even more hilarious.

Meanwhile, (back in Gotham City),

"So, we wanted to make an episode in which we would follow the gun that killed Bruce's parents as it got passed from one owner to another and then eventually to the man who killed Bruce's parents.

We were also working on an episode starring Nocturna (urggh, I remember her; that pseudo-vampire woman who (I think) briefly adopted J.T. and just made Bruce's life more complicated than it needed to be), only, in the episode, she's a real vampire, and she makes Batman into a vampire.

Fox Kids said NO".

Edited by Twilight Man.

Share Post

For those interested, check out this blog:

http://notblogx.blogspot.com/

While it covers a wide variety of comic-book related stuff (it started out as a look back at the 90s X-men), one of the things it also reviews is this show, along with other DCAU series. The main focus though is comparing certain episodes of the animated shows with their Adventures style comic book counterparts.

Share Post

On 10/30/2017 at 6:42 PM, Lantern7 said:

I know Conroy is the G.O.A.T. with animated Batman, but Bader is second, right?

Not according to this ranking list on io9.  Conroy is at #1, but Bader's much lower on the list than I expected.  West too.

Share Post