Dallas 1.0: All Seasons Talk

A place for those of us that loved the Original Recipe! Where we could see the layers of original Magnificent Bastard, known as J.R. Ewing, the various plots, schemes, love stories and triangles!

And for all the disgust, snark and contempt that the "Dream" Season gets, there sure were a lot of other shows, sticoms that used the same recipe!

Let's start with the unofficial first season: the four part mini-series. Where J.R. and Sue Ellen had their own little, teeny tiny house across the yard from the family home, hee. This home disappeared when the show was picked up and EVERYONE lived in the main house on Southfork.

Share Post

A place for those of us that loved the Original Recipe! Where we could see the layers of original Magnificent Bastard, known as J.R. Ewing, the various plots, schemes, love stories and triangles!

And for all the disgust, snark and contempt that the "Dream" Season gets, there sure were a lot of other shows, sticoms that used the same recipe!

Let's start with the unofficial first season: the four part mini-series. Where J.R. and Sue Ellen had their own little, teeny tiny house across the yard from the family home, hee. This home disappeared when the show was picked up and EVERYONE lived in the main house on Southfork.

It was actually a 5-part miniseries. I also recall that there were only 6 major players in the opening: Bel Geddes, Davis, Duffy, Hagman, Principal and Tilton. Each one took several seconds for the name to post, and the opening was shorter than it would be in later seasons. 

Here is that short miniseries opening:

Share Post

It was the oddest thing...as I was driving to an appointment this morning, several scenes of when Miss Ellie schooled Good Ole JR went through my mind...

It convinced me more than ever that Donna Reed was just so miscast for the one season she played her.

For all his screwing women and screwing them over, screwing over the Cartel, or just destroying other people...there were two people he RESPECTED and LOVED: His Mama and his Daddy. His Daddy? Jock? JR also feared him.

But the times when Miss Ellie had to step in because JR just went that one step too far....he listened to his Mama, and he Shut the Fuck Right Up, when she smited him those eyes, and with the line "Sit DOWN, JR!" And damned if JR didn't shut up and SIT DOWN.

Or when she would tear into Jock and JR...

It's why I so loved Miss Barbara Bel Geddes. She WAS Miss Ellie.

Man...I think I'll pull out my dvds this weekend...

Share Post

I loved BBG/Ellie in those moments, but as much as I loved her in those, I hated her in those moments where she was whiney, weepy and weak.  One that always sticks in my mind was when Bobby left the ranch ("for good") because of JR and Ellie is crying for Jock to bring him back.  A) Bobby was a grown ass man and for to act like she lost her toddler to a black market baby broker was beyond clingy and B) if she was going to insist Bobby be brought back at any cost, she should have been tearing into Jock to get JR under control and to do whatever it took to calm Bobby down and get him to come back.  As I recall, in later seasons to explain BBGs reduced role they had Ellie shipped off on vacation by Clayton because she was too fragile to deal with the family fighting.  I just wish they hadn't made it out like Ellie was this glass flower that would shatter if someone talked too loud.   

Share Post

Oh, without a doubt, Maverick.  And it made no sense, really, when you consider that Gary was her favorite among the boys. 

Yeah, I just roll my eyes whenever they referred to Miss Ellie as too fragile. My ass. It's one of the reasons I went apeshit when they threw in how she had been put in a mental institution when that hack Cidre got the okay to continue the saga of the Ewings.

At least, her being weak were very far and in between. I also loved how she ripped into both Jock and JR when it turned out that her brother had come home to die, and that the young woman with him was his nurse, and that he wasn't trying "steal" Southfork from Jock.

Share Post

Larry Hagman was the best! I'm always more fond of the bad guy than the namby pamby's. Although I think Larry's real persona was more akin to Tony Bellows than JR Ewing.

Share Post

I can still hear the announcer's voice like it was yesterday:

"Tonight, on Dallas.  With J.R. Ewing, the man you love to hate."

Good times. . . 

Share Post