Simpsons In The Media: I'm Kent Brockman

LMAO!  I knew it was going to be just a one-shot episode.  Perfect response, writers.  But seriously, enough with these stupid marriage crisis episodes.

I wonder if the writers were thinking they could be all smart and have Homer divorce Marge so that they could have a real wedding with all their friends (thinking they were being sneaky). And then after the story leaked they remembered they already did that back in season 8 and then tried to downplay the story.

Share Post

In season 20 they had yet another wedding because it turns out Reverend Lovejoy wasn't certified at the time of their second wedding. I find it unlikely that the writers would have forgotten both of those episodes. I think what we have here is just this year's version of the "a main character will die and it will change the show forever" misreporting.

Share Post

I wonder why the Simpsons is a repeat tonight (Nov. 15) ? Everything else in the 7:30pm to 10pm block on Fox is new.  Strange.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver.

Share Post

Has this (from 2013, so before this thread) ever been posted here?

It's an hour twenty of Conan O'Brian talking to fellow Simpsons writers about the show.

Share Post

Making a Simpsons Murderer, and it's actually is a pretty high-quality parody......

Edited by TVSpectator.

Share Post

I found this on IO9, but I have no idea if this is going to be a real thing or just some fake buzz:

Fox have announced that three minutes of the May 15th episode of the long running meme generator/animated sitcom will feature an unprecedented “live” section where Homer’s voice actor, Dan Castellaneta, will answer fan questions (and to verify its live nature, comment on current events) in a sequence that utilize motion capture to marry Castellaneta’s live performance to the two-dimensional Homer.

It might be the first time something like this has been attempted on an animated show, but using motion capture for 2D assets isn’t itself a new thing. But it’s still weird—given that an episode of The Simpsons usually takes months to animate—to see it happening essentially in real time. Weird and fascinating, especially as it’s part of a growing trend of creating live events for TV to combat the rise of people watching programming recorded or on-demand. Not even animation is sacred from doing a “live” episode, apparently!

If you’ve got a burning question for one of animation’s most iconic characters, you can submit it with the “#HomerLive” tag on Twitter between May 1st and May 4th.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/homer-simpson-will-take-your-questions-on-a-live-animat-1759497663

Share Post

I just read this Cracked.com article about the Simpsons and it blew my mind away. The  article' premises is that....

Aah, The Simpsons. Like food, it's been around forever, some people obsess over it while others take it for granted, and you often find yourself gorging on it while drunk at 3 a.m.

And also like your food, there's a lot of weird shit in The Simpsons that you might not want to think about. For instance, the innocent residents of Springfield may just be living a horrific multidimensional existence caused by the cast of The Simpsons' sister show, Futurama. No, really; consider this ...

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-simpsons-are-extradimensional-beings-created-by-futurama/

Edited by TVSpectator.

Share Post

Okay, so I found another article about the Simpsons. This one is from gizmodo and it talks about a Vimeo video showing the many Stanley Kubrick references in the Simpsons and also the side by side comparison from the actual movies they come from:

It’s really fun to see the genius eye of Stanley Kubrick get translated into the world of The Simpsons. Instead of the psychopaths in A Clockwork Orange, we get Homer, Moe, and crew. Instead of the stillness of 2001: A Space Odyssey, we see the goofiness of Homer eating in zero gravity. Instead of the eeriness of The Shining, we get Homer... again.

In this video edited by Candice Drouet, the scenes from The Simpsons and the original scenes from Kubrick play one after another so you can see all the visual references the cartoon took from the master filmmaker.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/fun-video-shows-the-simpsons-stanley-kubrick-parodies-w-1779887035

and here is the actual video:

Share Post

And now for something educational.

Homer, sit back down; after all, this is all about you.

An Economic Analysis of 100 Jobs of Homer J. Simpson

From being CEO at the power plant itself (briefly replacing Mr. Burns)

to being a drive-thru employee (why am I not surprised that's on the bottom),

our author attempts to explain how Homer many careers draw a connection to

the stagnation of American middle class........ blah, blah, blah.

I'm just impressed he was able to find how much a hitman makes in a year.

Unfortunately, he was not able to find how much a "beer baron" makes.

See you all at the season premiere!!

Edited by Twilight Man.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

And now for something educational.

Homer, sit back down; after all, this is all about you.

An Economic Analysis of 100 Jobs of Homer J. Simpson

From being CEO at the power plant itself (briefly replacing Mr. Burns)

to being a drive-thru employee (why am I not surprised that's on the bottom),

our author attempts to explain how Homer many careers draw a connection to

the stagnation of American middle class........ blah, blah, blah.

I'm just impressed he was able to find how much a hitman makes in a year.

See you all at the season premiere!!

That was a great chart, love Vox and I love that they would have those one-off videos about pop cultural and actual math.

Share Post

Here is something about the upcoming FXX Second The Complete Simpsons' Rewatch- Ever coming at Thanksgiving. All in honor for the upcoming 600th episode (and I think it will be this year's Tree House of Horrors episode)!:

The Simpsons broke the record for longest TV marathon two years ago when FXX broadcast all 522 episodes of the animated series consecutively in a 12-day binge. This year, the network will shatter its own record by airing all 600 Simpsons episodes in order, making it a 13-day marathon. 

The epic Simpsons run kicks off noon on Thanksgiving's Day through December 6th, Entertainment Weeklyreports. The marathon concludes with series' 600th episode, "Treehouse of Horror XXVII," which first premieres on Fox on October 19th. Four episodes from the upcoming Season 28 will air during the 13-day marathon.

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/all-600-simpsons-episodes-to-air-consecutively-on-fxx-w441777

Share Post

On 9/16/2016 at 4:42 PM, Twilight Man said:

Oh come on! Make an educated guess. That's just lazy.

Share Post

The Simpsons writers take a shot at Trump and his issues with former FBI Director Comey -- of course AG Sessions is hiding under the covers.

Share Post

Two Emmy nominations for The Simpsons this year:

OUTSTANDING CHARACTER VOICE-OVER PERFORMANCE - Nancy Cartwright

OUTSTANDING ANIMATED PROGRAM

Share Post

Binging with Babish made Flanders' hot chocolate and Homer's moon waffles:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo.

Share Post

Not technically as good as those youtube videos (and I so want to add some rum/vodka to that hot cocoa and thanks for posting them, btw) but this article was posted today about Disney buying up all of FOX Entertainment:

An episode called "When You Dish Upon A Star," which first aired on November 8, 1998, depicted a sign on the front of a building that read "20th Century Fox, a Division of Walt Disney Co."

The episode from the long-running Fox cartoon focuses on an unlikely relationship between Homer Simpson, Alec Baldwin and Kim Basinger. The sign appears toward the end, as Ron Howard successfully pitches a movie about "a killer-robot-driving-instructor that travels back in time for some reason" and "a talking pie," and receives bags of money for the project.

That Disney-Fox prediction became a reality on December 14, 2017, when Disney (DIS)said it was buying a huge chunk of 21st Century Fox, which owns 20th Century Fox, for $52.4 billion.

"The Simpsons" prediction was noted on Thursday in a tweet by ESPN reporter Darren Rovell, who included a screen shot of the cartoon sign.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/14/media/simpsons-disney-fox/index.html

Share Post

Binging with Babish made Skinner's POW fish stew and Ralph Wiggums' crayon sandwich (rainbow grilled cheese):

This is when he made the less edible version of the crayon sandwich on Good Mythical Morning with actual crayons:

Share Post

simpson-hawking-tribute.jpg?w=446&h=299&

Stephen Hawking was remembered on Sunday’s episode of The Simpsons. The renowned physicist had made numerous cameo appearances on the hit animated Fox show during its 29-season run.

Sunday’s episode featured a card in memory of Hawking with a still from the 1999 episode “They Saved Lisa’s Brain!” in which he guest-starred alongside Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie. The image features Hawking in his iconic helicopter and jet-powered wheelchair with Lisa Simpson sitting on his lap. (You can see the image above).

It was one of Hawking’s most famous cameos in which Hawking arrived in Springfield to rescue Lisa from a baying mob, using the helicopter blades concealed in his wheelchair He later shares a beer with Homer Simpson, who enjoys hanging out with “Lisa’s robot buddy”.

The Simpsons paid tribute to Steven Hawkings with a still from 1999. 

http://deadline.com/2018/03/the-simpsons-tribute-stephen-hawking-1202345695/

Share Post

A Simpsons short was put out about President Trump.

The newspaper headlines are pretty good.  I love the fact that his hairpiece is a dog in these clips.

Share Post

I liked that video and thanks for sharing. The sign that read, "recently fired exit" was perfect and also that there was a guy holding a suitcase with the words, "Nuclear Codes" on it was great. 

Share Post

6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

What is the context of this?  What did Hank Azaria say?

Share Post

58 minutes ago, RayAdverb said:

What is the context of this?  What did Hank Azaria say?

Azaria basically said that maybe the show should get some Indian American writers in the writing room to write Apu and they shouldn't be a "token" writer either.

Share Post

3 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

Azaria basically said that maybe the show should get some Indian American writers in the writing room to write Apu and they shouldn't be a "token" writer either.

Also that he's willing to step back and let an actual Indian actor voice Apu:

Edited by VCRTracking.

Share Post

Well as long as the character itself isn't completely eliminated, it's a fair compromise.

Share Post

On 4/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, RayAdverb said:

Well as long as the character itself isn't completely eliminated, it's a fair compromise.

Definitely. Grew up with Hank as Apu and enjoyed him as a character in terms of helping others in town out, and I hope whoever voices Apu next does a nice job with him.

Share Post

1 hour ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Definitely. Grew up with Hank as Apu and enjoyed him as a character in terms of helping others in town out, and I hope whoever voices Apu next does a nice job with him.

If they get a new voice actor do they keep Apu sounding the same though? Since I thought the stereotypical Indian accent was as much a problem as the fact that the character was voiced by a white guy.

Share Post

14 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

If they get a new voice actor do they keep Apu sounding the same though? Since I thought the stereotypical Indian accent was as much a problem as the fact that the character was voiced by a white guy.

I wondered the same thing.  Azaria based the voice off a real Indian store clerk he knew.  From my experience Indians, when their accent isn't too thick, sound sort of like Apu but the voice is a little deeper.  They sound closer to like his brother Sanjay or what Apu sounded like that time he was trying to pretend to be American to avoid deportation.

Of course, between auditions and the long production time for an episode, it'll probably be close to a year before we hear any new Apu.

Share Post

Azaria also voices Carl, Lou and Drederick Tatum, and there are no black voice actor regulars in the cast, either.  So if the broader issue is proper representation of underrepresented groups in media, I wonder if anything will come of that.  Of course, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a show that had an Indian immigrant as a regular, so Indians are marginalized to an even larger extent on that front.  Azaria made a good point about needing minority writers.  The regular writers were all white men during the seasons that I watched regularly.  I don’t know if that is still true.

Azaria, Shearer, Castellaneta and MacNeille are sort of in a class of their own by virtue of being such talented vocal mimics that they can do a variety of accents, dialects and sounds, so maybe “the problem” of voicing over characters of different races and ethnic backgrounds is really just limited to them, although didn’t a white guy voice Cleveland from Family Guy/ The Cleveland Show?  I always thought that was a little weird.

Share Post

59 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

Azaria also voices Carl, Lou and Drederick Tatum, and there are no black voice actor regulars in the cast, either.  So if the broader issue is proper representation of underrepresented groups in media, I wonder if anything will come of that.  Of course, I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a show that had an Indian immigrant as a regular, so Indians are marginalized to an even larger extent on that front.  Azaria made a good point about needing minority writers.  The regular writers were all white men during the seasons that I watched regularly.  I don’t know if that is still true.

Azaria, Shearer, Castellaneta and MacNeille are sort of in a class of their own by virtue of being such talented vocal mimics that they can do a variety of accents, dialects and sounds, so maybe “the problem” of voicing over characters of different races and ethnic backgrounds is really just limited to them, although didn’t a white guy voice Cleveland from Family Guy/ The Cleveland Show?  I always thought that was a little weird.

Hank also does Bumblebee Man and Dr. Nick. It is a weird issue and the fact that none of those other characters have been really brought up makes the cynic in me think they are trying to just deal with bad PR.

It is extra weird when you consider that for Lou, Azaria is just doing a bad Stallone impression, knowing that should he be replaced by a black voice actor?

Share Post

So true, @Kel Varnsen.  And add to that the thought that pops into my mind that as a white woman, I really have no place to have an opinion on whether Azaria voicing any of those minority characters is offensive.  And also that my judgment is clouded by the enormous adoration I had and still have for seasons 1 through 10ish, the writers who wrote it, and the enormous vocal talents of those who voiced it.  (It’s amazingly impressive to me that Azaria can be Chief Wiggim and Dr. Nick and that Shearer can be Flanders and Judge Snyder.)

Is Apu himself a negative stereotype?  Like I said, I have no place to judge, but I look at who he was when I watched, and I do have trouble seeing it:  computer science doctorate who is ride-or-die with his job (literally).  Basically a nice guy who has some contempt for his customers and later really is worn down by his family.  A talented vocal mimic can do a good voice, is that terrible?  The terrible part to me is that there just was (not sure if there still is because I don’t follow the show anymore) zero diversity among the producers, writers and talent.  But like I said, my judgment is clouded by love for the show and my own privilege.

Share Post

The whole Apu controversy is idiotic, and I'm so angry that the show's going to end up caving, especially after addressing it in such a clever way that made it seem like they wouldn't.

The Simpsons is literally all about goofy/exaggerated/ridiculous stereotypes with funny voices, performed mostly by the same small group of voice actors, and a lot of the stereotypes are ethnic/national:

- Groundskeeper Willie (Scottish)
- Krusty the Clown (Jewish)
- Fat Tony, Luigi Risotto (Italian)
- Mayor Quimby (Irish)
- Cletus Spuckler (Southern Redneck)
- Uter Zorker, Gunter and Ernst, Coach Lugash (German)
- Cesar and Ugolin (French)
- Bumblebee Man (Mexican)
- Cookie Kwan (Chinese)
- Kumiko Nakamura, Akira (Japanese)
- even Homer (American)

But only the Indian one is problematic . . . after 30 years!

GTFO

Share Post

On 4/29/2018 at 2:17 PM, Peace 47 said:

So true, @Kel Varnsen.  And add to that the thought that pops into my mind that as a white woman, I really have no place to have an opinion on whether Azaria voicing any of those minority characters is offensive.  And also that my judgment is clouded by the enormous adoration I had and still have for seasons 1 through 10ish, the writers who wrote it, and the enormous vocal talents of those who voiced it.  (It’s amazingly impressive to me that Azaria can be Chief Wiggim and Dr. Nick and that Shearer can be Flanders and Judge Snyder.)

Is Apu himself a negative stereotype?  Like I said, I have no place to judge, but I look at who he was when I watched, and I do have trouble seeing it:  computer science doctorate who is ride-or-die with his job (literally).  Basically a nice guy who has some contempt for his customers and later really is worn down by his family.  A talented vocal mimic can do a good voice, is that terrible?  The terrible part to me is that there just was (not sure if there still is because I don’t follow the show anymore) zero diversity among the producers, writers and talent.  But like I said, my judgment is clouded by love for the show and my own privilege.

I am sort of in the same boat which makes it difficult to wrap my head around the controversy since Apu is probably one of the most developed non-white characters on TV. And like @TeeVeeStevie said, every character in the show is pretty much a stereotype. So to just single out Hank Azaria and Apu seems like doing damage control. And like I said I am not really sure if the controversy is because the character is a stereotype or because it is a white guy going the voice.

But if they are going to apply the same standards to other characters it would seem that Smithers would probably be one of the most problematic. Harry Shearer is as best as I can tell not gay but for the run of the show he has played a super stereotypical gay man, and for most of that time period he was a stereotypical closeted gay man. Does anyone think that is a problem, or will it only be a problem if a documentary is made?   

Share Post

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 6:33 AM, TeeVeeStevie said:

The whole Apu controversy is idiotic, and I'm so angry that the show's going to end up caving, especially after addressing it in such a clever way that made it seem like they wouldn't.

The Simpsons is literally all about goofy/exaggerated/ridiculous stereotypes with funny voices, performed mostly by the same small group of voice actors, and a lot of the stereotypes are ethnic/national:

- Groundskeeper Willie (Scottish)
- Krusty the Clown (Jewish)
- Fat Tony, Luigi Risotto (Italian)
- Mayor Quimby (Irish)
- Cletus Spuckler (Southern Redneck)
- Uter Zorker, Gunter and Ernst, Coach Lugash (German)
- Cesar and Ugolin (French)
- Bumblebee Man (Mexican)
- Cookie Kwan (Chinese)
- Kumiko Nakamura, Akira (Japanese)
- even Homer (American)

But only the Indian one is problematic . . . after 30 years!

GTFO

Not only that, but out of all the characters listed, and others not on your list, Apu is probably the most respected, normal and well grounded. 

Share Post

So, I just saw this Screen Rant video on what they believed to be dark facts about Marge. Now, some of them I do agree (like she has no friends) but others I do not (like she was the one who shot Mr. Burns. Clearly, that was the baby and no jury in the world would convict a baby. Hmm, maybe Texas).

Share Post