The Awards Thread: The Golden Throne

Full list of Emmy nominations for GoT:

Outstanding Drama Series
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Outstanding Supporting Actor In A Drama Series - Peter Dinklage
Outstanding Supporting Actress In A Drama Series - Lena Headey
Outstanding Writing For A Drama Series - The Dragon And The Wolf by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss
Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - Beyond the Wall by Alan Taylor
Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series - The Dragon and the Wolf by Jeremy Podeswa
Outstanding Guest Actress In A Drama Series - Diana Rigg
Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More) - Dragonstone
Outstanding Casting For A Drama Series
Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes - Beyond the Wall
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - Beyond the Wall
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing For A Drama Series - The Spoils of War
Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Makeup For A Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic) - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or Special - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Sound Editing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour) - The Spoils Of War
Outstanding Special Visual Effects - Beyond the Wall
Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie

Share Post

Ha, and I just saw that Gay of Thrones was nominated for an Emmy too!

Outstanding Short Form Variety Series

Share Post

I really don’t understand why Peter Dinklage was nominated again this year. Nothing against the guy but he has had less and less to do every season and he keeps getting nominated. It feels more like a habit now to just nominate him and it’s tiresome.

Edited by GraceK.

Share Post

I think he was much better this season than in S6. His scene with Cersei was great. 

Share Post

28 minutes ago, GraceK said:

I really don’t understand why Peter Dinklage was nominated again this year. Nothing against the guy but he has had less and less to do every season and he keeps getting nominated. It feels more like a habit now to just nominate him and it’s tiresome.

Eh, Peter Dinklage did more than in Season 5 for which he won the Emmy (his S7 scenes with NCW and Lena), so why not? He's also one of the best and most known actors in the main cast of a show which regularly garners multiple nominations, so it's almost a "nomination by association."

Share Post

I sometimes feel that Peter is taken for granted in this fandom. I think he is just constantly great. 

Share Post

I think Peter is great but I don't think the writers give him much to work with sometimes.  He definitely shouldn't have picked up the Emmy for Season 5 (Jonathan Banks should have picked it up that year).  It was nothing against him but he really didn't have a standout moment that season.

Share Post

3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Eh, Peter Dinklage did more than in Season 5 for which he won the Emmy (his S7 scenes with NCW and Lena), so why not? He's also one of the best and most known actors in the main cast of a show which regularly garners multiple nominations, so it's almost a "nomination by association."

I wasn’t trying to insult him. Personally I love the guy and think he’s fantastic. I just think his constant nominations are a little ridiculous when you have someone like Alfie Allen who has done outstanding work and has been overlooked consistently. Peter Dinklage to be fair hasn’t been the star of this show for a few seasons, he hasn’t had a meaty storyline of his own, and his one really good acting scene this season was with Lena in the finale. I don’t think he deserves to be nominated this season just because of his name. 🤷‍♀️. To be honest I was baffled that he was nominated. Just my opinion, doesn’t mean I don’t think he doesn’t deserve the other Emmy he has or he’s not a great actor. 

Share Post

2 hours ago, GraceK said:

Alfie Allen who has done outstanding work and has been overlooked consistently

So much latest?cb=20140523152605

Share Post

I don’t think Peter Dinklage deserved to be nominated this year either. He is a fantastic actor, one of my favorite actors on the show, but I don’t think they gave him enough good material to work with. It’s not as bad as his nomination for season 6 (that was completely undeserved) or his win for season 5 but his role in season 7 just doesn’t justify his nomination. 

Share Post

Game of Thrones won the following awards at last weekend's Creative Emmys:

Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)

Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or Special

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - Ramin Djawadi, "The Dragon And The Wolf"

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)

Outstanding Special Visual Effects

Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie - Rowley Irlam, Stunt Coordinator

Share Post

5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Game of Thrones won the following awards at last weekend's Creative Emmys:

Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Period Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)

Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or Special

Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - Ramin Djawadi, "The Dragon And The Wolf"

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Comedy Or Drama Series (One Hour)

Outstanding Special Visual Effects

Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie - Rowley Irlam, Stunt Coordinator

And Diana Riggs wuz robbed. Not holding my breath for acting wins this season.

Share Post

Congrats to Peter Dinklage for his Emmy! If anyone deserves an award on this show, it's him. And of course Alfie.

If Dinklage gets an Emmy for season 8, I think he will break the record for most Emmys in the supporting actor category. Though, personally, I think it would make no sense for him to be submitted in the supporting actor category in the final season.

Edited by anamika.

Share Post

I am just glad that David and Dan did not win for writing this time around. That would have made the Emmys even more of a mockery than it is.

Share Post

I'm happy that GoT won again. It's really something that was never seen on TV.

And I'm happy that THT lost lol

Share Post

2 hours ago, nikma said:

Couldn't agree more.

Glad for P.Dinklage but NCW, sigh.

Share Post

If Friki spoilers are true, Peter will win again next year.

Share Post

Very happy Game of Thrones won Best Drama, which is richly deserved.

As for PD's victory, it feels like another case of the Emmy winner honoring someone simply on the basis of being a previous winner.  When PD won in Season 5, that was another example.  I remember all the critics saying that Season that he was the deserving no-brainer to win but I didn't understand it.  PD always does great work but was given no Emmy material in Season 5 and as far as I was concerned, he received the Emmy that Jonathan Banks should have gotten that season for Better Call Saul.  He was good in Season 7 but I really can't remember much about his performance or storyline in Season 7.  PD's best seasons were for Season 1 (which he rightly got the Emmy for) and Season 4 (which he didn't win).

Share Post

9 hours ago, nikma said:

The acting remains excellent, but THT took a big dive in quality post-S1, in my opinion.

Didn’t Gold Derby give THT an 80% chance of winning Best Drama? Oops.

Happy for Peter Dinklage. At least this time he won’t have to feel bad about stealing Jonathan Banks’ Emmy.

Share Post

Very nice wins for Dinklage and the show last night! Honestly sometimes I think GoT has become a show in which they put more effort into CGI and FX rather than writing a good script, but Tyrion's conversation with Cersei at the end of the season was great writing and acting. See, they can do it. 

Share Post

Yeah. Only a fool would see this year as sign of GoT's weakness.  They will destroy competition next year.

Edited by nikma.

Share Post

image.thumb.png.07773a571088877bb0e10a630ea267d9.png

OK, I've been wondering this since I watched last night-- who is the young man in the bow tie between Gwendoline Christie and GRRM?

Share Post

I wish it had been NCW who had a much better year this year than Peter.

When I consider this year Peter barely registers but NCW completely stands out and not just for his scene with Olenna.  He did much less wordy stuff but it was really memorable.

Share Post

Yeah, I struggled to remember what Tyrion's storyline actually was this season.  He pretty much is exclusively Dany's advisor at this point.

Share Post

He had a lot of good scenes IMO.

With Jaime, Cersei, Daenerys in E6, Jon in E3, watching Lannister's army being destroyed in E4 and so on. 

Share Post

On 9/18/2018 at 4:21 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

OK, I've been wondering this since I watched last night-- who is the young man in the bow tie between Gwendoline Christie and GRRM?

He looked so familiar to me! It was driving me crazy. Turns out I was delusional, lol.

He's the son of EP Carolyn Strauss.  She's the woman standing between D&D.

Share Post

Ha! Thank you. I thought he looked familiar, too, but I couldn't think of any young male characters who were still alive other than Bran, and I knew it wasn't him.

Share Post

On 9/18/2018 at 7:21 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

image.thumb.png.07773a571088877bb0e10a630ea267d9.png

I thought for a second that Trevor Noah photobombed the cast....

Share Post